It’s officially holiday party season. That means festive tables crowded with indulgent, carb-heavy dishes of the mashed, baked, and roasted variety. With moderation as our mantra, we rounded up this list of healthy and delicious low-carb side dishes with tips to help take the stress out of what to bring to your next potluck party.
1. This Lemony Carrot Salad pairs well with almost any dish on the potluck table and couldn’t be easier to make. Shred carrots (or buy pre-shredded) and chop some fresh herbs to toss in an bright lemon-garlic vinaigrette. Fancier party? Sprinkle in some toasted pine nuts or sunflower seeds for crunch and flavor.
2. Holiday overscheduled? This Indian Spiced Kale and Chickpeas recipe tastes like it’s been simmering away all day but comes together in under 30 minutes. It’s a side that can stand up to braised meats or serve as a main dish for the vegetarian at the table.
3. These Parmesan Spinach Cakes are the healthy version of the classic creamed spinach side. They’re baked in individual portions in muffin tins, so make a big batch ahead of time and store in the freezer to warm up when the invites start rolling in.
4. Tart apples and crunchy shredded cabbage come together in this Red Cabbage and Apple Salad (pictured) that’s a welcome addition to any holiday table. The cider vinegar and shallot dressing balances out the sweetness of the apples and the addition of chickpeas gives this salad the heartyness of a side dish.
5. Roasting intensifies the flavor in this simple yet elegant Lemon-Herb Roasted Beets recipe. Make sure to whisk the dressing while the beets are in the oven so you can toss it all together while they’re still warm. It will help infuse the flavor into the beets.
6. Attending a brunch potluck? This smoked paprika-spiced Cauliflower and Kale Frittata is packed with veggies, easy to transport, and can be served at room temperature. Like the Spinach cakes above, this recipe can be baked in muffin tins for individual portions.
7. If you’re bringing this Spinach and Warm Mushroom Salad to the office potluck party, make sure to peruse the produce aisle for specialty mushroom varieties like oyster, shitake, and chanterelle. Pack the sweet and salty bacon vinaigrette in a jar to add and toss right before serving.
Just because it’s the holidays doesn’t mean you have to rely on carbohydrates to satisfy friends and family at parties. Armed with these recipes, you can get through the season bringing healthy and impressive side dishes to the potluck table that don’t compromise on flavor. Happy Holidays!