Canned pumpkin is a convenient option for cooking. If you’d like to cook with a whole pumpkin, Sugar Pie Pumpkin is the most common variety. These are usually smaller and sweeter than pumpkins used for carving. Other cooking pumpkins include Kabocha, Cinderella, Long Island Cheese, New England Pie, Jarrahdale and Provence.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup egg whites, beaten until frothy/creamy
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups mixed berries
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 serving cooking spray
- Add almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy/creamy and soft peaks form.
- Fold beaten egg whites and vanilla extract into dry ingredients. Stir in pumpkin and 1/2 to 2/3 cup almond milk to reach pancake batter consistency.
- Heat a large nonstick pan or griddle over medium low. When pan is hot, spray with cooking oil.
- Using a 1/4 cup amount at a time, add the batter to the griddle. Flip when the edges firm up and you start to see little bubbles form in the middle.
- Spoon berries over individual portions and serve.
Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- ½ can pumpkin
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 4 cups water (option: skim or soy milk)
- 8 figs, sliced
- ½ cup walnuts
Prepare steel cut oats according to directions on package. When almost done stir in pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Top with figs and walnuts.
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup skim or soy milk
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ avocado
Blend ingredients and serve.
- whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 – 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 can no-sodium black beans, rinsed or shredded chicken
- 1 ½ cups zucchini, shredded
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp water
- Saute onion in olive oil and spices 3 minutes on medium heat. Stir in zucchini.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve some of the pasta water.
- Allow zucchini to cook 5 minutes. Stir in beans and pumpkin. Add pasta water if needed to thin pumpkin puree to desired consistency. Serve with pasta.
- 1 can no sodium garbanzo beans
- ⅔ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- a pinch of paprika or cumin
Blend all ingredients and serve with veggies or whole wheat pita.