If drinking alcohol is something you include as part of your weekly diet, consider the following:
- Decide what your health goals are.
- Modify your alcohol intake to fit those goals. This might mean having one drink with dinner, a happy hour once a week, restricting alcohol to the weekends or on social occasions, or cutting it out completely.
- When you do choose to drink alcoholic beverages, pick drinks that aren’t mixed with sugar, juices or syrups. This will eliminate excess calories.
- Serving sizes are 4 oz of wine, 12 oz of light beer and 1.5 oz of hard alcohol.
- One serving is approximately 100 calories.
Bottom line: Enjoy alcohol in a way that doesn’t derail your goals for good health.