The Paleo diet. Is it good for you or not worth your time? Well, we’ve got the pros and cons laid out for you so that you can decide for yourself.
Pros of the Paleo Diet
- Strongly supports eating non-processed foods.
- Supports choosing protein derived from grass-fed animals.
- Follows the 85:15 rule. Paleo allows some wiggle room: 15% to be exact. Sticking with a Paleo diet 85% of the time is much more achievable for most people.
Cons of the Paleo Diet
- More research is needed to determine the long-term risks and benefits of high protein diets.
- High intake of animal protein is associated with a greater risk for heart disease.
- Sources of protein are limited mostly to animal proteins. Plant proteins such as legumes, beans and grains are out.
- It can be challenging to get adequate fiber on low-carbohydrate diets.
In general, diets that remove entire food groups can be difficult to stick to. The purpose of changing your diet should be to gain health benefits and feel good. Modifying diets like Paleo to fit your goals and capabilities may prove more helpful in making and sustaining a larger lifestyle change.