Finding yourself eating richer through the holiday season. Try this lightened up apple dessert, which is less than 200 calories per serving. Feel free to leave out the brown sugar for an even healthier sweet treat or breakfast.
- 2 small baking apples
- 4 tbsp chopped dried fruit (raisins, apricots, cranberries, prunes, etc)
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp quick oats
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp canola oil
- Greek yogurt (optional, for breakfast)
1. Using an apple corer or small paring knife, remove half of the apple core. (Avoid cutting a hole all the way through the apple, or the stuffing will fall out.)
2. Place fruit, walnuts, brown sugar and spices into the hole in the apple. Place 1/2 teaspoon canola oil on top of stuffing and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes until apple is tender.
3. Serve warm, topped with 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt for breakfast, or a tiny dollop of whipped cream for dessert.