This easy and delicious stuffed pepper potluck recipe calls for quinoa, which is a great way to add low-glycemic whole grains to your meal, not to mention save money by spending on lower-ticket items like quinoa vs. ground beef. You can prep the stuffed peppers ahead of time, so all you have to do is throw them in the oven for about half an hour. The finished product: a filling, low-maintenance meal, perfect for your next get-together or potluck.
Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 bell peppers
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup almonds, slivered
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Slice the top inch off the bell peppers and de-seed.
3. Blanch the peppers in boiling water for about 5 minutes, or until they’re tender. Remove them from the water with tongs and let them drain cut side down on paper towels.
4. Cook the quinoa according to package directions.
5. While the quinoa is cooking, brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions, and season with salt and pepper. Drain when finished cooking, then remove from heat.
6. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef and quinoa and add the apricots and almonds. Mix all of the ingredients thoroughly.
7. Stuff the mixture into the peppers and place them in an oven pan that’s just large and deep enough to hold them securely.
8. Add about 1/2 cup water to the pan. Cover with aluminum foil, tenting the foil over the peppers, and bake until the peppers are tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
9. Remove the foil, sprinkle the peppers with Parmesan, then place back in the oven uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.