Try this easy halibut recipe for a weeknight dinner for four. You can buy pre-made polenta to make this a quick-cooking dinner that’s ready in about 30 minutes.
- 4 5-oz halibut (or cod) fillets, skinned
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mixed wild mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup mild white wine, like Pinot Grigio
- 1 tube prepared polenta, sliced into 8 rounds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful fresh basil, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Tear off 4 large sheets of parchment paper or foil. If using foil, coat with cooking spray.
2. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook until they start to brown, 4 to 7 minutes. Add wine and scrape up any browned bits. Remove from heat.
3. To make packets, set a sheet of parchment or foil with a long side closest to you. Fold in half length-wise, then open like a book. On one side, place 2 slices of polenta, set a fillet on the polenta, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Divide the mushroom mixture among the packets, spooning it over the fish. Close the packets and seal the edges with small, tight folds.
4. Place the packets on a cookie sheet. Bake until halibut is just cooked through, about 13 to 15 minutes. Set each packet on its own plate. Cut an X in the top with scissors and fold open, taking care to avoid the hot steam. Sprinkle with basil and serve.