It’s crab season. If you’ve never tried making crab at home, you may want to start with this tasty and simple recipe. To make things even easier, buy your crabs already cracked and cleaned at the store.
Roasted Crab in Garlic Sauce
- 2 Dungeness crabs, 2-plus lbs each, cracked and cleaned
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + drizzle
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 1 palmful fresh rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 palmful fresh thyme, leaves picked and chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 8 to 10 garlic cloves, pureed
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- Italian parsley, chopped for garnish
1. In a pot that’s been heated over medium, add olive oil. When oil is hot, add shallots, rosemary and thyme. Cook until light brown. Deglaze with ½ cup white wine.
2. Add the canola oil along with a pinch each of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool for a few minutes. Whisk in the garlic puree and let rest. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
3. Place the crabs in a large oven-proof skillet and ladle your garlic sauce over them. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Set the crabs on your serving dish, sprinkle with a couple of pinches of sea salt and chopped parsley. Serve with a salad and crusty, whole-wheat bread.