Try this warm tomato salad as an accompaniment to a roast chicken or fish. You can use Roma tomatoes instead of sugar plum grape tomatoes in this recipe. This roasted tomato salad qualifies as comfort food without being high in fat or calories. And it’s super easy to make.
Roasted Tomato Salad
- 1 clamshell sugar plum grape tomatoes (1 lb)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 handful fresh basil, leaves torn
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 scallions, trimmed and washed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Score each tomato with a small x. Put them in a small oven-safe dish and sprinkle over with garlic and basil. Break the bay leaves in half and tuck the pieces between tomatoes. Season with about ¼ tsp of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
3. Lay the scallions on a board and sprinkle lightly with sea salt and black pepper. Using a rolling pin or a full wine bottle, press down on top of the scallions to work the seasoning in and loosen the texture of the white parts.
4. Weave the scallions in and around the tomatoes. Pour balsamic vinegar over everything, drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil and bake in the oven for about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves from the roasted tomato salad before serving.