If you’ve experienced a hangover after having one too many drinks, then you know how awful it feels — pounding head, cotton mouth, acid stomach. If you’re suffering from the after-effects of a celebratory night out, then you’re likely in search of a good hangover cure. Eating something healthy will help get you on the road to recovery more quickly than skipping breakfast or eating poorly.
First things first, drink a bunch of water (slowly), and try these breakfast eggs. They’re high in protein without being greasy and seasoned with a little sea salt to help replace the electrolytes you’ve likely lost over the course of the night. Eggs, spinach and cottage cheese are good sources of of vitamin B-12 (a deficiency that can intensify a hangover), vitamin C, magnesium and zinc.
Also, eating eggs the morning after will provide you with energy. Better yet, eggs also contain large amounts of cysteine, the substance that breaks down the hangover-causing toxin acetaldehydein in the liver.
Scrambled Eggs with Spinach and Cottage Cheese
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- a handful of spinach
- 2 heaping tablespoons low-fat cottage cheese (preferably large curd though small works too)
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil to hot pan.
2. When oil is hot, add eggs and spinach, then scramble.
3. When eggs are mostly (but not quite) solid, add cottage cheese. Continue to scramble, until cottage cheese is warm and a touch melty, but still solid. You should still be able to see individual cottage cheese curds.
4. Remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.