Steel-cut oatmeal takes some time to cook up, making it hard to fit into your morning routine. So here’s a way to make it in a slow cooker overnight. Just throw the ingredients in the pot before you go to bed, and you’ll have a nice hot breakfast in the morning and for a few more mornings thereafter.
Steel-Cut Oatmeal in the Slow Cooker
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, dried fruit (e.g., cherries, apricots, raisins)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 cups water
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped Granny Smith apples
1. Coat your slow cooker with a non-stick spray.
2. Assemble all ingredients in the slow cooker. Stir together.
3. Cook on low setting for 8 hours. (Check at 6 hours the first time you do this, just to see how far the oats have cooked, and make adjustments with time or temperature accordingly.)
4. Serve in bowls. Add a splash of milk and a sprinkle of chopped walnuts.