When you’re cooking for one, cereal might be a legitimate dinner option. But cereal isn’t going to cut it when you’re eating with a spouse or friend.
Here are some quick, tasty and healthy recipe ideas for two.
1. Baked Sweet Potato with Black Bean Chili: Chili can be made quickly with some black beans, your choice of veggies and tomato sauce (simmer together for 15 to 20 minutes). Feel free to take the 45 minutes to oven-bake your sweet potatoes. Or cook them in a microwave for 4 or 5 minutes. If you’re really crunched for time, try a pre-made chili like the Amy’s brand, which has good taste and nutritional content.
2. Salmon Tacos with Mango Salsa: You can throw virtually anything into tortillas and make a quick meal. Fish tacos also bring out the opportunity to pair mango, sliced avocados and a squeeze of lime, all of which bring a festive edge to dinner. Tip: Use canned fish on nights you’re short on time.
3. Chili Stuffed Yellow Peppers: Mix cooked brown rice with whatever veggies you like, kidney beans and spices. Then stuff everything into a cored bell pepper. Cook time is 30 to 35 minutes, and the presentation makes it look like you know a thing or two about cooking. Another tip: Take some time one night to cook up enough brown rice or quinoa for the week. It significantly cuts down on prep time.
4. Lemon Dill Quinoa Salad: Quinoa salad can be consumed hot or cold. You can throw in garbanzo beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, scallions and nuts to make a great lunch for the next day. Go with pre-cooked quinoa to cut down on prep time, and add lemon and dill to pump up the flavor.
5. Grilled Chicken with Chipotle-Orange Glaze: A simple but tasty dish to keep in the weekly mix. Make seasonal vegetables and brown rice to complete the meal. Any leftover chicken and veggies can be chopped up and tossed in a tortilla with salsa.