Canned pumpkin is a convenient option for cooking things like this simple pumpkin pasta. If you want to cook with a whole pumpkin, Sugar Pie pumpkin is the most common variety to cook with; these are usually smaller and sweeter than pumpkins used for carving. Other options include Kabocha, Cinderella, Long Island Cheese, New England Pie, Jarrahdale and Provence. Check out this recipe for a fast-cooking pumpkin pasta and serve for dinner with a mixed green salad.
- 8 oz whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed, or 1 cup shredded chicken
- 1 ½ cups zucchini, shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp water
- pinch of salt and black pepper
1. Saute onions in olive oil and spices for 3 minutes over medium heat, then add zucchini. Allow zucchini to cook 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Reserve some of the pasta water.
3. Stir in beans and pumpkin. Add pasta water if needed to thin pumpkin puree to desired consistency. Season again with salt and pepper. Serve with pasta.